[For more complete information click "Home Page" to right] Bem P. Allen, Jr., (Ph.D. from the University of Houston) has conducted research in personality-social psychology as well as distance perception and memory. He is a Fellow of the American Psychological Association (APA) and the Society for Personality Assessment, and recipient of the 2001 Distinguished Faculty Lecturer Award. Professor Allen has also received the WIU Award for Excellence in Diversity and Multicultural Programing, Sigma Xi (1976) and College of Arts and Sciences Researcher of the Year (1990). He was Appointed Consulting Editor for Journal of Personality and Social Psychology: Personality and Individual Differences Section (journal of the APA) effective January, 1, 1989; reappointed for 1990-91 and has served as reviewer for many personality and social psychology journals. His new book, Common Sense versus Wisdom (2012), is now available in paperback (goto alondrapress.com then click Book Store).
- Aggression, Conflict, Peace
- Applied Social Psychology
- Culture and Ethnicity
- Gender Psychology
- Intergroup Relations
- Personality, Individual Differences
- Prejudice and Stereotyping
- Social Cognition
Note from the Network: The holder of this profile has certified having all necessary rights, licenses, and authorization to post the files listed below. Visitors are welcome to copy or use any files for noncommercial or journalistic purposes provided they credit the profile holder and cite this page as the source.
- Allen, B. P. (2012). Common sense versus wisdom: A guide to emotional control and rational thinking is now available in paperback at alondrapress.com (on this site, click "Book Store" and scroll down to the book). [Also, downloadable as an e-book for a $5.00 to Kindles or Nooks, or, using free apps found online (amazon.com), to just about any smart phone, tablet (e.g., iPad) or computer.]
- Allen, B. P. (2006). Personality theories: Development, growth, and diversity (5th ed.). Needham Heights, MA: Allyn and Bacon.
- Allen, B. P. (2007). Growing up White in America: Experiences with race. Lincoln NE: iUniverse.com.
- Allen, B. P. (2001). Coping with life in the 21st Century. Lincoln, NE: iUniverse.com.
- Allen, B. (2000). World War II 1939-1948: A novel about the aftermath of a Nazi victory. Writer's Club Press. [type World War II 1939-1948 in search window at Amazon.com]
- Allen, B. P. (1978). Social behavior: Facts and falsehoods about commonsense, hypnotism, obedience, altruism, beauty, racism, and sexism. Chicago, IL: Nelson Hall.
- Allen, B. P., & Potkay, C. R. (1977). Misunderstanding the Adjective Generation Technique (AGT): Comments on [D. J.] Bem's rejoinder. Journal of Personality , 45, 334-342.
- Allen, B. P. (1996). African Americans' and European Americans' mutual attributions: Adjective Generation Technique (AGT) stereotyping. Journal of Applied Social Psychology, 26, 884-912.
- Lindsay, D. S., Allen, B. P., Chan, J. C. K., & Dahl, L. C. (2004). Eyewitness suggestibility and source similarity: Intrusions of details from one event into memory reports of another event. Journal of Memory and Language, 50, 96-111.
- Allen, B. P. (2002). "Race" and IQ. The General Psychologist, 37, 12-18.
- Allen, B. P. (2002). If no "races," no relevance to brain size, and no consensus on intelligence, then no scientific meaning to relationships among these notions: Reply to Rushton. The General Psychologist, 38(2), 34-35.
- Allen, B. P. (1999). Shadows as sources of cues for distance of shadow-casting objects. Perceptual and Motor Skills, 89, 571-584.
- Allen, B. P., & Lindsay, D. S. (1998). Amalgamations of memories: Intrusion of information from one event into reports of another. Applied Cognitive Psychology, 12, 277-285.
- Allen, B. P. (1995). Gender stereotypes are not accurate: A replication of Martin (1987) using diagnostic, self-report, and behavioral criteria. Sex Roles, 32, 583-600.
- Allen, B. P. (1985). After the missiles: Sociopsychological effects of nuclear war. American Psychologist, 40, 927-937.
- Allen, B. P., & Potkay, C. R. (1983). Just as arbitrary as ever: Comments on Zuckerman's rejoinder. Journal of Personality and Social Psychology, 44, 1087-1089.
- Allen, B. P., & Potkay, C. R. (1981). On the arbitrary distinction between states and traits. Journal of Personality and Social Psychology, 49, 916-928.
- Allen, Bem P. An analysis of the Bem and Allen 1974 theoretical statement, method and data. Paper at the Midwestern Psychological Association Convention, 1979.
- Allen, B. P. (1993). Beautyism. In A. Arkoff (Ed.), Psychology and personal growth (4th ed.). Boston: Allyn and Bacon.
- Allen, B. P., & Niss, J. (1993). Chill in the college classroom? In Wayne Lesko (Ed.), Social psychology: general, classic and contemporary selections (2nd ed.). Boston, MA: Allyn & Bacon.
- Abnormal Psychology
- False Memory
- Group Diversity
- Introductory Psychology
- Personality and Adjustment
- Social Psychology
Department of Psychology
Western Illinois University
One University Circle, Waggoner Hall 100
Macomb, IL 61455
- Phone: (309) 278-5165